Wednesday, September 17, 2008

South of the Boarder Casserole



I'm on a Mexican kick lately, must mean I miss my parents! So I came across this recipe here and decided that I must try it. Chris was a big fan... hey if it has cheese and noodles, he's a fan!

Ingredients

1 pound of lean ground beef (I used 93%)
1 jalapeno
1 large bell pepper (I used orange)
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
28 ounce can of whole tomatoes (I used fire roasted tomatoes, which makes a HUGE difference!)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1-2 tablespoons of cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups reduced fat sour cream
8 oz penne or ziti (I just put a good amount in a bowl and threw it in, I have no way of measuring ounces!)

In a large deep skillet, brown meat until no longer pink. Drain fat. Add the olive oil, peppers, onions and garlic, cooking on medium to high heat. Saute until softened, about 8-10 mins. Add chili powder and cumin. Add the can of tomatoes, breaking up the whole tomatoes with a spoon, but still leaving big chunks. Add sour cream, stir until mixed. Add pasta. Cover and cook until pasta is al dente, about 25 mins. Make sure to stir frequently so the pasta doesn't get stuck to the bottom. Serve with cheddar on top if you're feeling like having a coronary.

I thought the recipe needed more kick so I added in red pepper and it also needed more cheese... or if you're Chris, LOTS of cheese! But it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment